CENTRAL POINT, Ore – Halloween may be over, but ODFW still has some treats, so take those kids away from the candy bowl this weekend and into the great outdoors for some excellent trout fishing.
Reservoirs in Jackson, Josephine and Curries counties are stocked this week and next with trophy-sized trout (12 to 15 inches) and legal-sized rainbows. Some lakes will also be stocked with fingerlings that will be ready for harvest next spring or summer.
- Medco Pond near Butte Falls: 350 trophy trout and 13,000 fingerlings. The east end of Medco Pond is on private property but plenty of access is on the west end of the lake with parking along the road.
- Willow Lake near Butte Falls: 2,500 legal and 500 trophy trout.
- Agate Reservoir: 350 trophy and 13,000 fingerlings. A Jackson County day use parking pass is required.
- Applegate and Lost Creek reservoirs: Both reservoirs offer excellent fall fishing. Lost Creek has received several trout stockings in October and Applegate is getting 1,000 trophy trout this week and 5,000 legals next week.
- Lake Selmac: In addition to 200 trophy trout stocked in October, another 1,000 legal and 200 trophy trout will be stocked next week. ODFW is also stocking 10,000 fingerlings for spring anglers.
- Garrison Lake near Port Orford: 1,500 trophy trout will be stocked on Friday.
Weather is expected to be varied this weekend in the Rogue Valley with only a chance of rain Saturday. The mountains could see snow showers in the morning with clearing in the afternoon. The coast should see rain.
For those new to trout fishing, ODFW offers some excellent tips.
Medco Pond is one of several reservoirs stocked with trophy and legal-sized rainbow trout.